Over the past two years, Failed Architecture (FA) has expanded its output significantly, thanks to a new website and podcast, three extra editors, and finance from audience donations, which now allows us to pay contributors and editors a small fee for their work. With this ever expanding activity in mind, we’re looking for new junior editors to help us maintain and grow the platform.
We’re looking for people who:
- are fascinated by the built environment, how it impacts society, how it is shaped, interpreted and fought over, and how it is represented and analysed in various media and disciplines.
- have an affinity with text and social media and an interest in audio, video, new media, or all of the above.
- have an eye for relevant and cutting-edge content that challenges the mainstream architectural discourse.
We’re asking from the junior editors:
- approximately six hours a week on editorial work (involving correspondence with contributors, content editing, securing images, coordinating with our copy editors, preparing articles for publication and social media handling) or other areas of Failed Architecture output.
- attendance at our bi-weekly editorial meeting, either in Amsterdam or via video call.
- intensive guidance in editing and online publishing during the first phase, and continuous support thereafter.
- access to an international network of people in the field of architecture and beyond.
- engagement with a large, international audience through an independent and widely recognised platform.
- the opportunity to develop new formats for the website, bring in new topics, invite new contributors, do interviews, review books, write your own articles or produce content for the podcast or other media (new ideas and initiatives are very welcome).
- work with a diverse team of people with backgrounds in design, geography, media, urban planning, history and the arts.
- a modest remuneration for each editorial project, based on and made possible by the monthly contributions of our supporters.
- potential paid work on other FA ventures and spin-off projects.
- an environment of opportunity and learning.
We particularly (but not exclusively) welcome applications from women, people of colour, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ people. Likewise, we are particularly (but not exclusively) on the look-out for people who are based in or have a close association with South and Central America, Africa, the Middle East, Asia and, specifically, New York City. We’re also open for collective applications of two or three people, who are based in one city and eager to form a new Failed Architecture outpost elsewhere in the world.
If you would like to join our team, please tell us a little about yourself by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. We’d also be interested to hear how you see FA and what themes or content you’d be specifically keen to work on. Considering we are expecting many emails, please keep your email within 400 words – you may attach a CV and/or a portfolio.
Deadline: January 6, 2020
We are planning to contact shortlisted applicants on 13 January and to hold interviews with potential new team members on January 20 and 21.